Sunday, December 13, 2009

Avocado Anomaly

Photobucket

I have to admit; I love products with defects. Odd shaped tomatoes, mine. Gnarly potatoes, sold. If something has gone awry in a product I use on a regular basis, I must have it, use it, and talk about it. So when I halved an avocado the other day for my salad and discovered that it had two pits, I was ecstatic. This avocado was meant for greatness, not just another bowl of rabbit food for a basic lunch. I had been curious about making an avocado based soup for a while and figured since it was soup month for the blog, what could possibly be a better time for experimentation?

After some interesting concoctions, I discovered the most delicious result came from letting the avocado stand on its own without too many additional flavor profiles. I original made it using guacamole as my jumping off point, creating a puree of cooked tomatoes, red onion and cilantro and pureeing in the avocado. The result was unattractive to look at and it was strange to be eating guacamole with a spoon and no tortilla chips. Since I wanted a creamy soup full of avocado flavor, I used only what was necessary to enhance that and to create a thick and luxurious soup.
Note: As they love to do, the avocado base in this soup will discolor if left standing for a while. Best to serve promptly.

Photobucket

Avocado Soup

1 large ripe avocado
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
½ cup crème fraiche or sour cream
2 cups chicken stock
Kosher salt
2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish

Halve and pit the avocado and coarsely chop in a food processor. Add the lime juice, a pinch of salt and 3 Tbs of the crème fraiche and puree until smooth. Heat the stock in a large saucepan until almost simmering and stir in the remaining crème fraiche. Add the avocado puree to the stock and heat gently for five minute, being careful not to bring to a boil. Ladle into bowls, season to taste and sprinkle with cilantro. Serves two for a hearty lunch, but easily doubled.

No comments:

Post a Comment